MARK T. SKINNER WEST SCHOOL NEWSLETTER
2017-2018 School Year
Week 1: September 7 - September 14
Dates to Remember
Drop your Ancillary Supplies in the Library! - Week of 9/5
PTO Meeting - Tuesday, 9/12 @6:00pm, Library
Communications Committee - Tuesday, 9/12 @6:00pm, Location - Library
FOSW Walk-a-Thon - Thursday, 9/28
A Letter from Mrs. Clark
Dear Superstar Parents,
I hope that the first week of school has been as exciting for you as it has been for us. We are delighted to see all of our returning students as well as some new faces! We are lucky to have such wonderful parents who are so involved in their children's education. Our Superstar parents are one of the main reasons why Skinner West is a top ranking school in Chicago! We would like to thank our Skinner Forum/PTO for providing refreshments during our new student orientation.
First off, we'd like to welcome our new teachers - Ms. Katy Rehus (maternity leave for Mrs. Salameda - 1st), Mrs. Michelle Twine (maternity leave for Mrs. Daigle - 2nd), Ms. Julia Jogman (5th) and Ms Julie Kendall ( Pre School).
We sadly say goodbye and best wishes to Amy Rauch, who had been our preschool teacher from the inception of the program. We wish her well as she and her family relocates to the suburbs.
We are looking forward to growing our Skinner family as we break ground this year for the new annex - a four story addition to the north of the main building. Stay tuned for more details about the expansion and school drop off procedures.I wish you a wonderful new school year full of Skinner spirit!
Education Compromise - Thanking Chicago Lawmakers
Please click here to read this important update from CPS on student funding and how you can thank Chicago lawmakers for their support.
CPS Supports DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivers)
Parents, please read the attached important letter for DACA children in English
. If you need assistance, please contact the office or Mrs. Clark
District Report Card - Now Available!
Parents, find attached the district report card in English
along with this letter
explaining the information. You can also access the letter in Spanish here
Chinese Cultural Festival - Free Admission
The Chinese Cultural Festival will be held at Whitney Young on Saturday, September 23rd. Click here for more information!
West Loop Soccer Club
The West Loop Soccer Club is offering a discount for Skinner West students for the Fall Soccer Season. Click here for the registration link.
Become a Birthday Book Club Member!
If you or your child loves, reading, be sure to participate in the Birthday Book Club. Click here for more information!
Arrival Procedures: Main Building
- Students may be dropped off as early as 8:00am at the main bldg for breakfast. KDG students will sit in the designated areas for their class. Ms. Hampton or Ms. Winsley will be there to supervise
- @8:45-8:50am Students line up to board the shuttle bus
- @8:50am Shuttle to the branch departs; If the child misses the shuttle, it is the parent's responsibility to dropoff at the Branch at the Aberdeen entrance
- OR -
Arrival Procedures: Branch
- 8:40am - drop-off begins; Students may eat breakfast at the branch and are supervised by Mrs. Taylor. Students must wait in the cafeteria for their teachers and are not allowed in the classroom unless the teacher is present
- You may pick up your child from the branch by 3:20pm
Dismissal Procedures - Pick up at Branch OR Main Bldg
- 3:25pm - Students board the shuttle bus to the main building on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. If a parent has not arrived by 3:20pm at the Branch, they MUST pick up at the main bldg
- 3:45pm - Parent pick up in the cafeteria of the main bldg
- Students reporting the STAR Aftercare or Skinner Park aftercare program will report to designated areas
- In cases of early dismissals before 3:20pm, your child must be picked up at the branch
For all of our families that will be applying to a CPS high school for the 2018-19 school year, it's time to take the next step in the high school application process and activate your account.
Contact the Office of Access and Enrollment at 773-553-2060 or email@example.com
FOSW Walk-a-Thon - 9/28/2017
The Friends of Skinner West Walk-a-Thon is on 9/28/2017. We need your help to reach our goal of raising $50,000 for the school. Volunteers are needed for the day of the Walk-a-Thon to ensure a successful event! Please take the time to go to our Volunteer List at the link and sign up for a role on the day of the Walk-a-Thon. goo.gl/bZx6J8
Avoid a Ticket & Keep our Students Safe! Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures - MAIN BUILDING
Drop Off and Pick Up through 9/11 - NEW PROCEDURES WILL BE COMMUNICATED IN A FUTURE NEWSLETTER
- Please do not block any driveways in the community area, double-park or block a crosswalk while dropping off or picking up your child.
- In the morning the Monroe Street side is a "kiss & go" (drive up- drop off and drive away) area. Please do not park there - even temporarily. Please find parking in another area if you are going to exit your car for ANY period of time.
- After school, the Monroe Street side is reserved for the bus lane. There is no parking or area to wait for your child.
- Do not park on the Adams Street side directly in front of the school in the mornings. The Adams side is used for school bus drop-off only.
- In the evening, the Adams street side school parking zone is a "pick up & drive away" area. Do not leave your car for extended periods of time. Please find legal parking in other areas if you are going to exit your car for ANY period of time.
- Our parking lot has limited spaces and is permit parking for SKINNER STAFF ONLY. Please do not park in the staff lot or block other cars as you will be towed.
Thank you to our parent and teacher volunteers that work hard to keep our children safe as they walk across the busy crosswalks on both the Monroe & Adams Street side. As a community, we all play an active role in keeping those crosswalks safe.
Skinner West PTO Needs You!
On the first day of school, enjoy morning refreshments while dropping off your students, compliments of your Skinner West PTO. The PTO supports our school in many ways, including community-building events and fundraising activities. Learn how you can get involved at the first PTO meeting of the year on Tuesday, Sept. 12, at 6 p.m. in the library. All parents and teachers are welcome. Even if you can't make it, you can support Skinner West at
School Supplies and Fees 2017
- Please check the website for the school supply lists - updates have been made! http://www.skinnerwest.cps.edu/fees_supplies.html
- Please remember: purchase your grade level supplies AND the Ancillary list supplies, Art, and Science supplies.
- Coming soon to this link - School Fees!
STAR Aftercare Program Registration
FINAL call for STAR after school program for the 2017-2018 school year. Forms can be found here:
Registration and Payment details:
Room Parent and Auxiliary Room Parent Volunteers
for the 2017-2018 School Year
Room Parents and Co-Room Parents are still needed for the following classrooms and auxiliary classrooms:
Ms. Mary Beth O'Connor- Grade 2
Ms. Stacy Sanders- Grade 3
Ms. Shannon O'Brian- Grade 4
Mr. Patrick O'Brien- Grade 4
Mrs. Rosenzweig- Grade 5
Mr. Lee- Grade 6
Mr. Willis- Grade 6
Ms. Christiansen- Grade 7
Mr. Fitzsimmons- Grade 7
Ms. McSpadden- Grade 7
Mr. Batchelor- Grade 8
Ms. Mellos- Grade 8
Mrs. Sendoun- Grade 8
Ms. Wardanian- special Ed
Ms. Milroy- science
Ms. Maatouk- Music
Ms. Bovit- Art
And all the Spanish and Mandarin teachers.
All comments, suggestions or requests to submit information to this newsletter should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications Volunteers are welcome. Donate your time to help increase communications and contact us!
Would you like to add another parent, guardian or caregiver?
Sign up for this newsletter here.
Deborah M. Clark