Friday, Feb. 21
4th - 6th Grade Dance
3:45 pm - 6:00 pm
Saturday, Feb. 22
Annual Skinner Ski & Splash Day
5/6 - 4:30 pm
7/8 - 5:30 pm
Wednesday, Feb. 26
LSC Candidate Applications Due
Thursday , Feb. 27
Six Flags Reading Logs Due
5/6 - 4:30pm
7/8 - 5:30 pm
Friday , Feb. 28
What's Happening in the West Loop? Visit the
Did you miss last week's Week-At-A-Glance e-newsletter? Click here
to catch up on a must-read!
Does your Superstar have an accomplishment or honorable mention you would like to submit to the newsletter?
Reply to this email or email us
Are you supporting Skinner through these NO additional cost fundraisers?
SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL and Share this with Family and Friends!
Box Tops/ Labels for Education
Collect everyday labels from groceries to earn points and funds for our school library
to designate your eScrip accounts to Mark T. Skinner. A percentage of your purchases go to the school. However, you must renew your e-Scrip annually
. Look out for special bonus days too!
1% goes to Skinner on ALL purchases made with Target Card (additional 5% all purchases for you!)
Designate Skinner Classical as your school
5% of purchases go to Mark T. Skinner Classical School (Code A5BY)
Please submit pictures from any Skinner West events (concerts, parties, presentations etc) to email@example.com.
We prefer .jpg or .gif files of up to 350kb.
|FOLLOW US ON:|
Don't let the frigid temps and extreme snow deter you, come out and play, the weather will be perfect this weekend for skiing, ice skating or sledding! We have extended the deadline for ski registration! Ski payments and forms will be accepted in the Skinner main office until Thursday, Feb 20th at noon. In addition, payments will be accepted ONSITE at the ski lodge on Saturday, Feb 22 from 9:30 am -10:30 am. You MUST contact Jacinta Wong in advance at
See you all on the slopes!
Reminder to 7th Graders
Register for SelectivePrep After-School Class
for SelectivePrep's After School Seventh Grade Standardized Test (for 7th Graders) Class.
Get your child into one of the Chicago Public School's Selective Enrollment High Schools. Competition for admission is fierce and intensifying last year over 16,000 students applied for about 3,000 available openings.
SelectivePrep offers a 14 hour program to prepare students for the 7th Grade Standardized Test. Scores from the Reading and Math on this test represent one third of the Selective Enrollment admission score.
To qualify for other advanced programs, a minimum of 75% on this test is required. Additionally, scores from this Exam will play a crucial role on whether or not a student is admitted to competitive programs including International Baccalaureate (IB) and advanced magnet high schools.
In 2014, the 7th grade standardized test will be 100% Common Core compliant. Click here to read more about 2014: The Transition to Common Core or visit their home page.
We have heard that in 2014 CPS will be replacing the ISAT (given in early March) in the Selective Enrollment admissions formula with the MAP test (given in late April). Our classes are timed for this later test and will help prepare students for this more difficult Common Core compliant test.
Classes at Skinner will start on Thursday, February 27th and run for 7 sessions from 3:45 PM - 5:45 PM. We will need a minimum of 10 students to run the class at Skinner - so please spread the word. Click here to Register NOW.
If you need more information or have any questions, please visit www.selectiveprep.com or call 312-409-8411.
Our next pizza day is Friday, February 28, 2014.
Help our 8th graders get off to Washington, D.C. by purchasing a delicious slice (or two) of pizza. Click here
for an order form. Forms must be turned in by Wednesday, February 26th.
Volunteers and donations (water bottles, Capri Suns, & napkins) are always needed and appreciated. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
if you can help.
Thank you for your support!
The Skinner Summer Camp registration deadline has been extended!
We are going to continue to accept Superstars until our program fills up. Spots are filling up quickly so don't miss out! Get your form and deposit to Mr. Johnson ASAP! Click here
for the registration form.
If you have any questions, please email Mr. Johnson at email@example.com
It's going to be an amazing summer - so don't miss out on the fun!
Calling all Box Tops!
If you have any Box Tops at home, please send them in by Monday, February 24. Ms. Ranftl will count them up, and submit them for the March 1st deadline.
Help our school earn up to 2,500 eBoxTops!
Are you signed up for the Box Tops website? If not, please follow these directions! If 100 new parents or friends of Skinner register, Skinner West will earn $250.
- Go to BTFE.com/springsprout. At the top of the page, click "Join FREE".
- Find the green box that says "Sign up to support your school today!" and enter Skinner West. Click "Select this school".
- Enter your information, then click "Next"
- Create your login, and check the box that says "Yes! As a Box Tops member, I'd like to receive weekly emails with link to my school's earnings, bonus opportunities, coupons and more."
- Click "Join Now"
- Check your email, and click the link provided in the confirmation email.
- Go back to BTFE.com/springsprout and share with family and friends!
Thank you for supporting Skinner West!
Back to top
Spotlight on a Skinner West Superstar
Four of our Skinner Superstars competed in the Professional Karate Commission's "Cabin Fever National Karate Championships" tournament on Sunday February 16th. They did great. Maquan B. (1st grade) finished 2nd in Kumite (fighting) and 6th in Kata (forms) in the 7-8 yr Novice division. Cornell S. (3rd grade) finished the day 1st in Kata and 1st in Kumite in the 7-8 yr old Novice division. Aaron W. (5th grade) finished 5th in Kata and 2nd in Kumite in the 11-12 yr old Intermediate division. Gabrielle N. (4th grade) finished 1st in Kata, 1st in Kumite & 2nd in Kobudo (weapons) in the 9-10yr old Advanced division.
Does your Superstar have an accomplishment or honorable mention you would like to submit to the newsletter? If so, please email us at
Parents, as a reminder, here is our current attendance policy. If you are unsure how to report your child's absence, always refer to our policy, which is also posted on the Skinner West website at http://skinnerwest.cps.k12.il.us/policies.html.
Students who are absent from school must bring a signed note by their parent or doctor explaining the reason for the absence in order to be considered "excused." Without a valid cause, a student will be marked for an "unexcused" absence. If a student has more than 9 unexcused absences and they are in a benchmark grade (3rd, 6th, or 8th), they may not be promoted. A student who attends school for at least 5 hours is marked for a full day of attendance while a student who attends for 2.5 hours is marked for a half-day.
- A phone call to our main office is strictly optional.
- You may receive a recorded phone call from CPS indicating that your student is absent.
- If you know in advance your child will be absent, please work with your teacher to make up missed time.
It's Cookie Dough time!
Click here for the Classic Recipes Brochure
PTO's most profitable and delicious fundraiser will kick off this Friday, February 14th. Students will be coming home with their cookie dough packets on Friday. Please check your child's backpack.
This will be PTO's last fundraiser of the school year, which runs from Feb. 14th to Feb. 28th. We are looking forward to full participation from our Skinner Superstars. We will be raising funds to purchase items like promethean boards (for 3 classrooms) and classroom supplies.
Here are the prize incentives for our Cookie Dough Fundraiser:
- Sell 8 units of cookie dough and spend time in the Game Truck.
- Sell 12 units of cookie dough and receive a "purple slip".
- Sell 18 units of cookie dough and receive a scratch card for a chance to win $50.00 in cash.
- Sell 22 units of cookie dough and receive a $20.00 Target gift card.
- Sell 45 or more units of cookie dough and receive a $150 Amazon Card
Please ensure orders are turned in by February 28th to guarantee delivery for report card pick up day, April 7, 2014 . Late orders will not be accepted.
Thank you for your support!
Please click here to view the 2nd semester schedule for Skinner's after school STAR program.
On April 7, 2014 (Report Card Pick-up Day), Local School Council elections will be held at Skinner School. In the election, parents and community members will have the opportunity to run and vote to fill 8 positions on the school's LSC (6 parent members and 2 community members) and school staff will have the opportunity to vote and fill 3 positions on the LSC (2 teacher members and 1 non-teacher staff member).
Make a difference, run for Skinner's Local School Council. The deadline to file candidate nomination forms for the 2014 LSC Election is 3:00 pm, February 26, 2014. Click here
for more details.
All parents must sign in at the security desk in order to enter the school building. Parents should always enter on the Adams Street side. Parents should not be moving about the school without a visitor's badge. Let's all work together to help keep our school safe.
Parking and Drop Off Reminders
Parents- Avoid a Ticket and Keep Our Students Safe!
The snow keeps piling up and roads continue to be slippery.
Please review the drop-off and parking procedures to keep
everyone safe (and ticket-free).Drop Off and Pick Up
* Please do not block any driveways in the community area, double park or block a crosswalk while dropping off or picking up your child.
* In the morning the Monroe Street side is a "kiss and go (drive up- drop off and drive away)" area. Even if you are dropping off a kindergartener, please do not park in the kiss and go area even temporarily. Other parents need to be able to use this area to drop off their children. Find parking in another area if you are going to exit your car for ANY period of time.
* After school, the Monroe Street side is reserved for the bus lane. There is no parking or area to wait for your child.
* Do not park on the Adams Street side directly in front of the school in the mornings. In the mornings, the Adams side is used for school bus drop-off only.
* In the evening, the Adams street side school parking zone is a "pick up and drive away" area. Do not leave your car for extended periods of time. Other parents need to be able to use this area to pick up their children. Please find legal parking in other areas if you are going to exit your car for extended periods of time. Parking Lot
* Our parking lot has limited spaces and is for SKINNER STAFF ONLY. Please do not park in the staff lot or block other cars.
* All cars that do not have the proper permits (issued to staff) will be towed.
Lastly, thank you to our parent and teacher volunteers that work hard to keep our children safe as they walk across the busy crosswalks on both the Monroe and Adams Street side. As a community we all must play an active role in keeping those crosswalks safe.
The heavy snow and frigid temperatures that have shut down schools this winter will result in summer break being pushed back by three days. Here are the changes to CPS' elementary, middle school, and early childhood calendars.
- March 28th, which was not a school day for elementary and middle school students, will now become a student attendance day to offset the January 6th snow day.
- June 11th, which was the first day of students' summer break, will become a student attendance day to offset the January 7th snow day.
- June 12th will become a regular school day to offset the January 27th weather day.
- June 13th will become a regular school day to offset the January 28th weather day.
- June 16th will become the first day of elementary and middle school students' summer break.
- June 23rd will be the first day of summer programs for elementary and middle school students.
The new date for the 4th-6th grade dance has been confirmed. The new date is Friday, February 21st. The dance will run from 3:45 to 6:00pm. Permission slips will be coming home. The price of the event is $5 in advance and $7 at the door.
Money Smart Kid Essay Contest
The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is again sponsoring the Money Smart Kid Essay Contest, which allows the 5th-8th graders the opportunities to win a $5,000 scholarship.
for the flyer to learn more about the Money Smart Kid Essay Contest and for an application. All essays and applications must be submitted to the Federal Reserve Bank by February 26, 2014.