Friday, April 13
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAYS -
Tuesday, April 17
Wednesday, April 18
*REPORT CARD PICKUP No Classes
COOKIE DOUGH FUNDRAISER PICKUP
Edible Schoolyard Committee mtg
LOCAL SCHOOL COUNCIL ELECTIONS
Thursday, April 19
School Tours for Prospective Neighborhood Parents
School Improvement Plan Development Parent Input
Friday, April 20
Facility Services Committee Mtg
Did you miss last week's Week-At-A-Glance e-newsletter? Click here to catch up on a must-read!
Does your Superstar have an accomplishment or honorable mention you would like to submit to the newsletter?
Reply to this email or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you supporting Skinner through these NO additional cost fundraisers?
SUPPORT OUR SCHOOL and Share this with Family and Friends!
Box Tops/ Labels for Education
Collect everyday labels from groceries to earn points and funds for our school library
e-Scrip (Dominick's & other retailers)
to designate your eScrip accounts to Mark T. Skinner. A percentage of your purchases go to the school. However, you must renew your e-Scrip annually
. Look out for special bonus days too!
1% goes to Skinner on ALL purchases made with Target Card (additional 5% all purchases for you!)
Designate Skinner Classical as your school
5% of purchases go to Mark T. Skinner Classical School (Code A5BY)
submit pictures from any Skinner West events (concerts, parties, presentations
etc) to email@example.com.
We prefer .jpg or .gif files of up to 350kb.
|FOLLOW US ON:|
In This Issue...
- Letter from Ms. Clark Regarding the Longer School Day
- Gallery111 Prepares for the 9th annual Cinco de Mayo "No Art Left Behind" Silent Auction
- Cookie Dough Recap & Delivery Information
- SKINNER SUPERSTARS Summer Basketball Camp
- March Performance Day Pictures
Repeat News Articles and Updates:
- What's New on SkinnerSuperstars.org?
- Financial Fitness Family Fun Night (4/29) and Call for Financial / Technology Volunteers!
- Gallery 111 Update
- Edible Schoolyard Update
- Call for Science Volunteers for Space Race!
- Walk-a-Thon and Field Day - June 5th; Save the Date and Call for Food Donations
On Tuesday, instead of requiring elementary schools shift from the current 5¾-hour day to a 7½-hour day, Mayor Rahm Emanuel ordered elementary schools move to a 7-hour day. High schools will adopt a 7½-hour day, the mayor's original proposal. But there will also be a 75-minute early release one day a week. "The changes to the full day reflect hours spent listening to parents and taking action based on their input and demonstrate our willingness to work as true partners with parents to make decisions that will boost student achievement across the district," Schools CEO Jean-Claude Brizard said in a press release. Please find attached Mr. Brizard's letter to parents regarding the "shortened longer school day". Please know that the Skinner administration and teachers will do everything necessary to make sure that the additional time will be utilized to enhance education for our Skinner Superstars!
Gallery111 Prepares for the 9th annual Cinco de Mayo "No Art Left Behind" Silent Auction
May 5th, 2012 from 6pm-10pm @ Catalyst Ranch, 656 W. Randolph, Chicago, 60661
In preparation for this year's gala, the Gallery111 members are requesting assistance via an "Auction Wishlist". We are requesting the following:
- Tickets (sporting games, theater, concerts,etc)
- Events with TV or sports celebrities or activities (cooking, tours, etc)
- Vacation homes or timeshares
- Artwork (quality paintings, photographs, lithographs, pottery, glass work, original prints, etc)
- Eating / Drinking (gift certificates to restaurants, bars or nightclubs)
- Entertainment (theater, comedy clubs, cruises)
- Learning & Playtime (workshops, museums, birthday parties, camps)
- Pampering (Spa, Dental treatments, Yoga, Gym, etc)
- Retail / Hotel
Our letter requesting donations is provided for you to send to your contacts & includes our Tax ID # for charitable contributions towards a non profit (please attach!)
Lastly, money raised from this event support the Arts at Skinner West. See ongoing arts programming for 2011-2012 activities that benefitted the children of Skinner West.
Cookie Dough Recap & Delivery Information
Thank you to all 158 families/students who participated. Below is a summary recap:
1,626 units of cookie dough sold
$22,656 gross sales
$9,065.60 = Skinner Proceeds
- 110 Students sold 5+ units = game truck winners. These students will get an opportunity to visit the game truck on Wed. April 25 from 11a-2p.
- 51 Students sold 10+ units = purple slip - entered in the last caught you doing something good assembly before spring break
- 24 Students sold 20+ units = $20 Target Gift Card - pick up with cookie dough orders on Wed 4/18 in the gym
- 7 Students sold 40+ units = Kindle - pick up on with cookie dough orders on Wed 4/18 in the gym
Cookie Dough Pick up is scheduled for Wednesday April 18th, report card pick up day, in the gym from 12-6p.
Please make sure you stop by and pick up your orders and prizes. All cookie dough not picked up will be donated to a local food bank.
Summer Basketball Camp
Skinner west will be holding its first annual summer basketball camp this upcoming summer break. The camp will start on June 24, 2012 and end July 27, 2012 (8AM-3PM | MON-FRI). The camp will be held every day except major holidays. Players will be part of a camp that teaches basketball skills (dribbling, shooting, passing, moving without the ball, etc.) with one-on-one work and development. The players will also practice as a team and participate in tournament play around the Midwest. Players will also be responsible for minimum assignments outside the program (journals and reading)
The cost of the camp will be $950.00. The cost includes transportation travel expenses, snacks and juice. Players are also encouraged to bring their own lunch as well. Players will also receive personal warm-up shirts, journals and basketball.
Space is limited to 45 student athletes and 15 in each age group. 3 teams: (8-9)-(10-12)-(13-14). More
information and travel schedule will be available soon. If you would like your
child to participate in the camp, please fill out the attached
form. All checks can be made out to Skinner West Elementary. All payments can be made at Skinner West Elementary.
See photos of your child from the March Performance Days in the Music Room.
Go to this link and look for your child's room number.
What's New on SkinnerSuperstars.org?
With over 3,000 visits a month, we hope you are finding the website useful and informative.
STAR Afterschool color-coded schedule for the rest of the year is posted on the
the volunteers opportunities page for the most current needs
out the newest club on the clubs
and activities page
- Duplication on the website and the newsletter are intentional. Get the information you need in according to your preference
if you are not sure where to look for something, use the google
search function on the left margin of the home page to search within the Skinner website
~LSC Communications Committee
Financial Fitness Fair Fun Night
Friday, April 27th 4-7 PM
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
- The event (fair) is FREE and open to all
- There will be presentations on various topics (for kids and adults)
- Don't have to worry about dinner. Pre-orders will be taken for Potbelly sandwich's - watch for notice when it comes home
- Students and parents may open a savings account at the fair (special flyers from the banks indicating what documents will be needed)
- Students who attend may be eligible for a homework pass (check with your teacher)
- Lots of giveaways and raffle prizes
- Entertainment for the kids
- Would you like to volunteer? We need parents with financial and technology backgrounds. We also need volunteers who have experience with using technology / smart boards
- Please contact Ronetta Dewitt-Hall @ 773.218.1293 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to volunteer
Gallery 111 Update
From the recent Skinner West survey, parents expressed an interest in knowing how fundraising money is spent.
Gallery 111's primary focus is the arts programming. The g111 committee is comprised of volunteers - teachers, parents and neighborhood friends - working together to bring the arts to the children of Skinner West. We welcome you to join us in our efforts to provide quality art programming. Please email email@example.com if interested. Please read about the ongoing programming that Gallery 111 has supported (click here). This includes
dance, theater, symphony, arts and film programs and workshops for our Superstars.
Your generous and continued support in recent and ongoing g111 events, such as "Art for the Hearts", coffee, and t-shirt sales made the art programming possible.
The upcoming "No Art Left Behind" event is a highly anticipated evening for adults to enjoy the company of the Skinner West community, in the midst of displayed arts, music, cocktails, light fare, and a silent auction.
Only 37 days left until
"No Art Left Behind"
Saturday, May 5th, 6 to 10 PM
Please watch this space for details!
Edible Schoolyard Update
On March 18th, a group of volunteers got together to prep and lay out the newly designed site. We have begun to grow our seeds in some of the classrooms, getting them ready to be planted in mid to late April, depending on the weather. Additionally, we have been working with various professionals trying to best sort our options. Please join us if you would like to volunteer ideas! We meet weekly on Wednesdays @ 4:30 PM in the cafeteria. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Call for Science Volunteers - Mentors and Judges for Space Race Needed
We are in need of volunteers - parents, friends, professionals - with a science or engineering background who can help mentor groups of 4th to 8th graders as they write experiment design proposals for the Space Race. (Learn
more about the Space
Race here). Mentors will give advice to the group via email, helping the students craft a competitive experiment proposal for the competition. The winning experiment design will be carried out aboard the International Space Station next fall. Students' topics cover a wide range of science disciplines, but people with a life science background (especially with plants) are in very high demand.
We are also looking for volunteer judges to be a part of the review panel for the Space Race on May 11th.
If interested, please contact email@example.com or 773.534.7790 ext 61192
Walk-a-Thon and Field Day
SAVE THE DATE and Call for Food Donations
Our annual Field Day and Walk-a-Thon is scheduled for Tuesday, June 5th.
More details are forthcoming.
We are seeking healthy food donations. If you are or know of a wholesaler, restaurant, or grocer who is willing to donate ANY amount of healthier food - most importantly lunch, or snacks, fruit, veggies - to help nourish our Superstars during this event, please contact Marla Sedler from Friends of Skinner West (FOSW) at firstname.lastname@example.org.